Tuesday 15 September 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Wish I Wrote

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish and this week the theme could be anything that you want it to be. Because I'm so darn indecisive it took me far too long to come up with the theme for this post, but in the end I decided to choose the top ten books I wish that I wrote (wish that I had written? I don't know. My grammar is awful).
20613470     16248114     6547260     818056     10210
What a surprise--Sarah J Maas made the list. Again. I'm so unpredictable. I was torn whether to include this one or Queen of Shadows, but I think I marginally prefer this one. The reason that I wish I wrote Heir of Fire is because it's one of the best books I've ever read. Celaena's character arc is fantastic, the writing is beautiful, the setting is richly imagined and the characters are just so wonderful. There isn't anything I would change, and I wish I was as talented as Sarah is.

This book isn't something I thought that I'd like. I don't tend to read books that are as graphic/heavy (drugs, gangs, rape, violence, prostitution), and I thought that the Chilean aspects would be a little boring. Oh, how wrong I was. The reason that I wish I wrote this was because of the pacing and plot structure between the past and the present. Everything weaved together so nicely, and I envy Allende for being able to write such a fantastic and poignant novel.

This is my favourite book in the Mistborn trilogy and, yet again, is one of the best books I've ever read. The reason that I wish I wrote this book is because Sanderson is a bloody genius when it comes to plot twists and worldbuilding. I've never read anything like it, and I don't think I ever will again. Somehow a six hundred page epic felt fast paced, and I was utterly gripped right until the last page.

Like seriously, imagine how rich I'd be if I wrote this? I could actually own a proper Beauty and the Beast style library. In all seriousness, I wish I wrote Harry Potter not just because it shaped my childhood but because of its scope, detail and ambition. The Harry Potter books changed an entire generation, and The Deathly Hallows is the best. Probably. I've never been able to decide which book was my favourite.

The reason I wish that I wrote Jane Eyre is because of the titular character, Jane herself. She's my soul twin--out of every book I've read she's not just the character I relate to most but the one I aspire to be. I wish that I had the ability to write such a fantastic heroine, and the ability to write a novel so advanced for the time that it was written. Also, can we appreciate the wonder that is Mr Rochester?
2999475     18180495     12279616     15777621     331830
On the Jellicoe Road is such a fantastic book, and I genuinely think that everybody should read it. I wish that I had Marchetta's talent, and her ability to create such a moving story. Ugly tears were shed (you know, the kind where my mascara somehow ended up on my chin). I wish I could write a story with that much power. Melina Marchetta, I take my hat off to you.

Oh wow, I could forever list the reasons why I wish that I wrote this. Mostly, I think it's because it's a book that reinvents some of my favourite themes and tropes in literature. It's a book about super villains and what it really means to be evil. V.E. Schwab is so talented and I'm just so darn jealous.

I don't feel like I've mentioned this book much on my blog, but that doesn't change the fact that I absolutely love it. Mostly I wish I wrote it so I'd be able to get all the nerdy eighties references (I'm so jealous of you if you do). I wish I could write such an entertaining and heart warming story, and most of all I wish I had an imagination as good as Cline's.

Anyone who has ever been bullied should read this book. I'm so grateful that I haven't been properly bullied since I was eleven years old, but that doesn't change the fact how meaningful this novel is. To put it simply, I wish that I could wield the same power with words. I wish I had Sales' ability to make people feel less alone. It also introduced me to one of my favourite songs (This Charming Man by The Smiths), so that's always a good thing.

Keturah and Lord Death is a relatively quiet novel. But oh man, I wish I could write as beautifully as Martine Leavitt. The reason I wish this book was mine is because of the actual words themselves. It was such a delight to read, and I am utterly in awe of Leavitt's talent. It's such a delight to read, and I would definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS