Friday 22 January 2016

Review: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

608051THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY BY OSCAR WILDE
Publisher: Random House
Format: Paperback
Series: No
Pages: 194
Date Finished: 21.01.16
Rating: 4.5/5
Summary: Dorian is a good-natured young man until he discovers the power of his own exceptional beauty. As he gradually sinks deep into a frivolous, glamorous world of selfish luxury, he apparently remains physically unchanged by the stresses of his corrupt lifestyle and untouched by age. But up in his attic, hidden behind a curtain, his portrait tells a different story...
“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”
To put it simply, this novel is fantastic. Not only is the prose absolutely beautiful, but it explores themes that most authors wouldn't dare to (especially in the stuffy, oppressive Victorian era). The Picture of Dorian Gray is bold, daring, thought provoking and philosophical. It's no wonder that most of Wilde's contemporary didn't give it the best reception.

Dorian Gray follows an eponymous protagonist who essentially trades his soul for eternal youth and beauty. The portrait of him painted by his friend Basil Hallward bears not only his age but a visible sign of the sins he commits. As well as being a fantastic novel it also has elements of being a social commentary, sometimes even using very dark cynicism to highlight the flaws of Victorian society.
“I don't want to be at the mercy of my emotions. I want to use them, to enjoy them, and to dominate them.”
Some characters are more likable than others, though they all feel extremely real. Along with most of the classics I have read (which, sadly, isn't many) I did struggle to deeply connect with the characters in the same way I have with other novels. However, that doesn't change how beautifully crafted they are. Each one serves a purpose, from Henry Wotton to Sibyl Vane. Some were sexist, some were sympathetic, and others were downright evil.

Perhaps my favourite thing about The Picture of Dorian Gray is how Wilde's life adds to the narrative. I have to admit that I don't know much about Oscar Wilde, though I do know that he was gay. The homosexual undertones to the novel are quite frankly a delight to read. They're so blatantly obvious (at least they are to me, reading in the 21st century) and it's just wonderful. Fuck you, Victorian homophobia. This book is a work of art, and I like to think that it's sticking it's middle finger up at oppression.
“Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.”
I genuinely see myself wanting to reread this in a few years. The prose is so good it made me want to drool, and every other sentence felt quote worthy. It wasn't overly challenging to read, and whilst there was one chapter that dragged I was hardly ever bored. The Picture of Dorian Gray is a classic that's lasted the test of time, and I completely understand why.
“Some things are more precious because they don't last long.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS