Friday 8 January 2016

Review: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

12000020ARISTOTLE AND DANTE DISCOVER THE SECRETS OF THE UNIVERSE BY BENJAMIN ALIRE SAENZ 
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Format: Audiobook
Series: No
Pages: 359
Date Finished: 19.12.15
Rating: 4.5/5
Summary: A lyrical novel about family and friendship from critically acclaimed author Benjamin Alire Sáenz. 

Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship—the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.

I don't really know what to say about this book, other than the fact that it felt alive. The characters had a life of their own, and it wasn't one of those contemporary novels that, no matter how enjoyable, has a detachment from reality. Everything about Aristotle and Dante feels like it could happen in real life. It feels like it already did.
“Words were different when they lived inside of you.”
The prose in this novel lent itself perfectly to being read as an audiobook, and I definitely recommend enjoying it that way. Lin Manuel Miranda's narration took the words of the page and completely immersed me in the world of Ari and D0ante. I'd be lying if I told you the reason I read this wasn't because Miranda was the narrator (he just happens to be my favourite human being. Ever). That aside, I can't form into words how magical this novel is.

I completely understand why it's won so many awards. It's powerful, and manages to be profound without becoming overly pretentious. Even though I can't relate to the two main characters on certain levels, I am beyond happy that this book exists. In terms of representation, this is the kind of book we need. Aristotle and Dante explores the themes of race and homosexuality, two things which are arguably underrepresented in YA at the moment. Books like this one are important, not just because it's a fantastic novel because it tells the stories of characters which don't normally get a voice.
“I got to thinking that poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just didn't get--and never would get.”
Speaking of the characters, I bloody loved them. Aristotle and Dante both feel like real people, and the connection between them never felt as if it was fake. The supporting characters were just as great--I loved that family was an important theme, and that we got to know the parents of both characters as human beings, not just as 'mum' and 'dad'. They fleshed out the story and gave it its heart.

I can't quite give it five stars only because it took me a while to get through, partly because when I stopped listening I didn't feel a sense of urgency to continue the story. That aside, this is a beautiful novel that, in my opinion, everyone should read.
“I bet you could sometimes find all the mysteries of the universe in someone's hand.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS