Monday 1 February 2016

Reading Critically

The world we live in is wonderful. It's bursting with billions of different people, each one with a story to tell. Fiction explores new worlds and new stories--essentially, books have the power to open our eyes to people and experiences we've never imagined before. 

If this planet is so diverse, then how come only a few peoples stories get told? Can you honestly say that the books you read are as representative as they could be? I can't. Novels centred around people who aren't just straight, white, and cis-gendered aren't as common as they should be. Fiction is definitely getting better, but it's not there yet.

It's not just a case of representation. A book may have a diverse cast yet be problematic in an entirely different sense. It could be the way they portrayed, or the things they say... to put it simply, there are thousands of reasons why a novel could be dubious in its portrayal.

There is definitely an argument to say that fiction is just entertainment, and in a way it is. That doesn't change the fact that it influences our lives. I don't think any of us would read if it didn't. And that is exactly why I think it's important to read critically rather than passively.

I don't think it's patronising to say that as human beings we're impressionable. The media is all around us, and fiction is yet another way that we gather information and form opinions. Say, for example, a novel depicts a cast of female characters that instead of supporting each other, label each other 'sluts' and backstab their friends just to win the attention of a man. That's not positive, and yet it's everywhere in fiction. Yes, a book is just a book, but if the ideas they present are negative the impact it might have would be extremely harmful.

If we don't read books and carefully scrutinise whats being said, who will? If you read something that has elements of racism--take Bronte's Jane Eyre as an example--and don't call it out, then that says just as much about you then it does the text itself. I'm not saying that you can't enjoy something that has flaws, but if you don't even acknowledge the problems with the book, then that's just lazy. I'm definitely guilty of reading passively in the past and even now I'm not perfect. I just think it's important to make an effort.

I'm aware that I speak from a position of privilege. I'm straight, white, middle class, cis-gendered, British... aside from the fact that I'm a woman (which, lets face it, is still a disadvantage even in the 21st century) I'm about as privileged as it gets. It's so easy for someone like me to forget that not everyone is like us, but if the people society tends to favour don't act critical towards things, then nothing will change. It's not always a case of boycotting a book because of its flaws, but simply being aware of them.

The world we live in is prejudiced enough as it is. Surely we shouldn't just be standing by when we see something problematic, no matter how minor it is? The only way for things to get better is for people to be critical.

In the end it might be 'just a book', but if it wasn't for the stories I've read I wouldn't be the same person I am today. I'm interested to hear what you think--should we always try to read critically, or are there instances were books are nothing more than entertainment? As far as I see it, words are powerful, and powerful things are the ones that should be criticised the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS