Monday 27 April 2015

Writing Update: April

Oh hey there!

(That was definitely the most cringey introduction paragraph in existence. Let's move on).

Aside from being a reader, I'm also an aspiring writer (read: destined to be unemployed) and for as long as I remember I've wanted to be published. I suppose this post is more for me than anyone else but I want to do a monthly writing update on this blog so I can keep track of my writing progress and rant to someone about how much of a failure I am. 

Yeah, sometimes writing sucks. 

Seriously, there are days when everything I write is absolute crap and when I fall so far into plot-holes that a full scale rescue team would struggle to get me out. However, there are also moments when I actually like the words I've written because I've fallen madly in love with the worlds and characters that exist in my head. 
This was me at the beginning of the month.
This month was both terrible and amazing at the same time. In the first part of April I was a writing machine. It would be impossible to count the amount of times I yelled FUCK YEAH after completing a chapter. I wrote 100K in thirty days last NaNoWriMo and I think that the only reason was because I had revision and exams to do in that month. Yeah, I have exams in two weeks (!!!) and I'm seriously slacking on revision, but the writing isn't too shabby.

My project, Honour Among Thieves (I think I've mentioned it before. It's a standalone epic fantasy novel), is currently standing at 34K and I wrote most of that in the beginning of April. This novel is the same one that I wrote back in November, but I'm currently rewriting it because the first draft was, in the politest way possible, absolute bullcrap. It's also changed so much since that fist draft, and since then I've attempted to start again three or four times. I'm really happy with how it's going right now. 

Saying that, in the last half of the month I couldn't write a darn. Nothing was working, and each word was generally terrible. I'm pretty sure that there are preschoolers who could write more exciting shit. Hell, I think that I wrote better stories when I was ten or eleven (I'll post some of those one day--they're hilariously bad). I'm getting out of that slump now, but I'm not really that content with the quality of my writing. It's a bit meh. 
Lisa gets me. She's my soul twin.
This month, I began to properly plan a YA fantasy novel called The Dying Word (that title will almost definitely change). It's set in a fantastical library in which the books contain stories of peoples lives, even the bits that they haven't lived yet. I came up with the idea a couple of months ago but the idea is finally developing and I'm so excited by it. There's this character called Kit who is swoon worthy X1000 and I may be a little in love with him. That's seriously weird because I'm crushing on my imagination. 

Moving on. 

One of my favourite things about TDW is the friendship between the two main characters, Raena and Varine. I think that female friendships doesn't feature nearly enough in books and I am SO EXCITED to write this story. If you want to get a general feel for it, check out my Pinterest board. 

I'm having trouble focussing on just one project. I won't start TDW before I finish HAT (hehe) which may be a while, considering I'm 34K in and still have at least two thirds left. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up at 150K. Seriously, it's impossible for me to write short books. It's impossible. 

Anyway, I don't think I'll write much in May/June because my exams are from May 12th to June 12th (yup, I didn't realise that until a few weeks ago). So that'll be fun.

I don't know if you found this post interesting or not, but either way thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS