Tuesday 28 April 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Which Feature Kickass Female Characters

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and Bookish and this Tuesday the theme is top ten books which feature characters who ____, so I decided to write about books who feature kickass/strong female characters!

Throne of Glass: Celaena Sardothien
Celaena is probably my favourite character OF ALL TIME, yeah? Her character development is wonderful and profound, but the best thing about her is how much she likes books, chocolate and pretty dresses. You can be badass and feminine too! Celaena is the protagonist from the Throne of Glass series (my all time favourite) and she's an assassin. Can we all appreciate how much I need Queen of Shadows right now?

Harry Potter: Hermione Granger
Oh Hermione. I relate to her on so many levels, and she shows that you can be nerdy and bossy, yet still be sexy and kickass. If it weren't for Hermione, I think that Harry and Ron would have died before The Philosophers Stone even ended. If you haven't already, read this about what Harry Potter would have been like if Hermione was the protagonist. It's beautiful.

Heir of Fire: Manon Blackbeak
Manon is also from the Throne of Glass series but I couldn't not include her in this list. She's an Ironteeth witch, and from the moment she walked onto the page (and ripped out a mans throat) I wanted to befriend her. Except I didn't because she'd probably kill me.

Finnikin of the Rock: Evanjalin of the Monts
I've only read the first book in the Lumatere Chronicles, but Evanjalin is such an amazing character. It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Melina Marchetta and her characters, but Evanjalin is amazing. She's emotionally strong and flawed, but that doesn't change how much I love her.

Harry Potter: Minerva McGonagall
I'm not ashamed for putting another Harry Potter character on this list. I want to include them all, but in the end I settled with McGonagall as she's one of the unsung heroes of the series. One word: badass.

Mistborn: Vin
Vin is the hero of the Mistborn trilogy (I still need to read the Hero of Ages so no spoilers... except I already got spoiled for a big thing at the end and it BROKE MY HEART). Either way, Vin is a Mistborn which mean she can gain powers by 'burning' metals. There isn't one man in this book who is as awesome as her, and not one person who she couldn't beat. We need more people like Vin in high fantasy, okay?

The Hunger Games: Katniss Everdeen
Putting Katniss on this list was a no brainer. She's the protagonist in the Hunger Games (if you didn't know that I don't know where you've been for the past few years) and was one of the first people I thought of when creating this list. All of the characters I'm mentioning are three dimensional rather than just kickass, but Katniss is probably one of the main reasons why there are a lot of strong female heroines in YA.

Jane Eyre: Jane Eyre
I know Jane Eyre isn't kickass, but that doesn't change how much I love her. She's independent, strong willed and pretty badass (considering she lived in the 19th century). My love for this book (and character) knows no bounds.

The Lunar Chronicles: Cinder
Cinder is awesome. She's a mechanic living in New Beijing who also happens to be part cyborg (and part awesome spoiler-related things too) who takes the Cinderella trope and turns it on its head. She's strong, brave and willing to go out and get what she wants, whether it be the Prince or a full scale rebellion. All I know is that when I finally get my hands on a copy of Winter, I'll cocoon myself in my room until I've finished.

A Court of Thorns and Roses: Feyre
Feyre is the most recent character to make this list because I only finished A Court of Thorns and Roses a couple of weeks ago. Sarah J Maas writes amazing heroines (she's also the author of Throne of Glass) and Feyre is no exception. She feels real and alive, and yet again the character development was wonderful. I need ACOTAR two right now. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS