Thursday 14 May 2015

Review: The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller

The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Format: Kindle
Series: No
Pages: 267
Date Finished: 13.05.15
Rating: 2.5/5
Summary: On the outside, seventeen-year-old Madelyne Summers looks like your typical blond cheerleader—perky, popular, and dating the star quarterback. But inside, Maddie spends more time agonizing over what will happen in the next issue of her favorite comic book than planning pep rallies with her squad. That she’s a nerd hiding in a popular girl's body isn’t just unknown, it's anti-known. And she needs to keep it that way.

Summer is the only time Maddie lets her real self out to play, but when she slips up and the adorkable guy behind the local comic shop’s counter uncovers her secret, she’s busted. Before she can shake a pom-pom, Maddie’s whisked into Logan’s world of comic conventions, live-action role-playing, and first-person-shooter video games. And she loves it. But the more she denies who she really is, the deeper her lies become…and the more she risks losing Logan forever.


This book was hardly perfect, not by a long shot. That doesn't mean that it wasn't exactly the kind of book I needed. The Summer I Became a Nerd is extremely predictable, the main character was frustrating, the writing wasn't great and some of the names made me roll my eyes. I'd still recommend you read it, and this is the reason why:

This book is a whole lot of fun.

It's light, fluffy, entertaining, and romantic. I went into this expecting nothing more and that was what I got. If you want to pick up this book, don't go in expecting anything new or wonderfully crafted. It is what it is, and if that's what you're in the mood for I definitely think you should pick it up.

On the whole, the plot was extremely predictable and generic. It followed the same structure that a lot of YA contemporary books follow, though I didn't particularly care. If I was in a different mood I probably wouldn't have liked this book but like I said before, if a predictable plot doesn't bother you I wouldn't not read this book.

I really enjoyed the comic book side of this. Whilst I don't read comic books myself (I'd like to, but I have NO IDEA where to start) I really enjoyed reading about comics, LARPing and the various other nerdy escapades that happened over the course of the story.


Maddie, our heroine, was actually quite relatable. Yeah, she expressed classic indecisiveness and angst at times. There was a point when she was still dating her boyfriend, Eric, but had obvious feelings for Logan and she didn't handle that situation in the most rational way. I could connect a lot with her situation as not many people in my real life know how nerdy I am, and they'd certainly raise a few eyebrows if I went to a sleepover in my Star Wars pyjama shirt. When it's so hard to be yourself, her irrationalities made sense to me. Well, not all of them, but still.

I really liked Logan, the love interest. His romance with Maddie was really cute and they were a good couple, but it was skirting on the insta-love category. It wasn't love at first sight, but it didn't take them long to fall in loveyup, love. 

Two of Maddie's friends were featured, her best friend Terra and her frenemy Rayann. Terra was actually a good character, though I felt that Rayann just added conflict when it wasn't really necessary. Most books have the standard bitchy girl who is mean for no reason and I felt like this book really didn't need her. She didn't feel like a person, just someone who got in Maddie's way.

That all being said, this book was so cute. So. Damn. Cute. In the romantic scenes I had butterflies in my stomach, and I couldn't help but grin at the end. Don't go in expecting much and I'm sure you'll be swept along for the ride.

And finally I present to you what is possibly the best quote ever:
“I'm a geeky badass, and I'm loving it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS