Tuesday 19 May 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Inspire Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish and this Tuesday is a freebie week. I spent way too long deciding what to choose, but in the end I decided to post the top ten books which inspire me. If you've read my blog before you may know that I'm an aspiring author so most of the books on this list will inspire me to write. Anyway, let's go!


Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas
It's no secret that I'm obsessed with the Throne of Glass series. It's my absolute favourite and every time that I think about it I START FINGERLING IN CAPITALS. Ahem. The reason why it is my favourite, Heir of Fire specifically, is because it touches me on an emotional level that I can't quite explain. Sarah J Maas writes beautifully and her characters are simply divine, and every time I pick up Heir of Fire I want to write, to create my own worlds and to try to create a story as powerful as this one. If I had to choose one novel to go on this list, it would be this one. Without a doubt, Heir of Fire is my favourite book, and the most inspiring one. 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
Harry Potter basically is my childhood. So much of who I am is because of this series, but The Deathly Hallows inspires me because it shows me what fiction can be. It's ambitious and brave, as well as being one of the most satisfying conclusions out there. JK Rowling is a master of characters, and if I could write characters half as well as she does, I'll be thankful for all she's taught me.

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
The Final Empire was the first adult fantasy book that I fell in love with. It inspires me because Sanderson takes so many risks to create an ambitious and detailed work. It's a delight to read. This book inspired me because it showed me how wonderful fantasy could be, but ultimately how everyone, even a rag-tag group of thieves, has the power to change the world.

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
Finnikin of the Rock is one of those rare books which is completely and utterly flawless. Marchetta creates characters that are just as real as the people you meet in real life, and this book inspires me in more ways than one.

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas
I'm not even going to apologise for putting Sarah J Maas on this list more than once. ACOTAR doesn't just inspire me to be brave and forgiving, but that every single character is the master of their own story. And there's Rhysand, one of the most wonderful characters I've come across in a long time. I'd love to write someone like him one day.


Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Melina Marchetta is on this list twice, as well. I couldn't not put Jellicoe Road on here, not when it's one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. I could ramble on forever about how it inspired me, but you really should just read it. You won't regret it, I promise.

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
The whole time I was reading Snow Like Ashes, I couldn't stop thinking about writing. The prose in this book is wonderful and I fell in love with the characters. It wasn't just the message of the book that was inspiring, but it reminded me of why I love the fantasy genre.

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge 
This book inspired me to create characters that aren't perfect who are still allowed to love, and to take risks whenever possible. Hodge's writing is lyrical and a pleasure to read.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Oh Jane Eyre, how I love you so. This book is definitely a favourite, but it inspires me not just because of the beautiful writing but because it's a story about a heroine who isn't pretty, falling in love with a man who isn't handsome. It's smart and ambitious, and every time I think about this novel it reminds me that looks do not define us, and that the world really can be a beautiful place.

Vicious by V.E. Schwab
This is another recent read. Vicious inspired me to write characters which aren't perfect, but also that there is good and bad in everyone. I love this book for so many reasons, but the way V.E. Schwab does her characters is just so inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS