Thursday 7 May 2015

Review: Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

Snow Like Ashes by Sarah Raasch
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Format: Hardcover
Series: Snow Like Ashes #1
Pages: 416
Date Finished: 03.05.15
Rating: 5/5
Summary: A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.
        Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.
        Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.
        So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.


This. Book. 
                                         

I started reading this way back in January when I bought it, but I put it down to have dinner, twenty pages in. I then watched a movie. I then forgot about it and started something else. IDIOT. 

Aside from that, I read Snow Like Ashes in one glorious sitting. I picked it up, telling myself I'd just read one chapter before bed. I got to the hundred page mark and put it down, closing my eyes. Yeah, that lasted for about two minutes before I picked it up again and read until four AM. I couldn't stop, even when the notes I was taking turned to gibberish. 

My notes weren't really that coherent even when I wasn't tired. Here are some of my favourites:
Page 131 - THEY DID FUCKING WHAT THE ASSHOLES
Page 164 - Shirtless Theron scene. Hubba hubba. 
Page 235 - DAYYYUMMM I LITERALLY LOVE THERON
Page 360 - FUCK YEAH
Page 381 - FUCK YEAH 
Page 412 - Meira is such a badass omfg why can't I be her??
Page 416 - NEED. NEXT. BOOK. 

Ahem. 

First of all, I need to express how much I love the characters, particularly Meira and Theron. Let's talk about Meira first? One word: badass. She starts off as someone who constantly wants to prove herself, even if she can be a little selfish. She's capable and competent without being unrealistically good at things which is a bonus. I hate it when characters always win, even against opponents who are better than them. Another thing that makes me want to take my hat off to Raasch was that Meira wasn't whiney, even when she was complaining. I didn't ever get annoyed by her because her reactions felt natural and necessary, even if they weren't always selfless. 

Perhaps my favourite thing about Meira was the character development she went through. She was a little bit selfish at the beginning (but not to the extent that a lot of YA heroines are) but by the end of the novel she really came into her own. The selfishness was clearly intentional by the author, rather than something which is down to bad writing. I liked that. I don't want to spoil exactly how her character develops as I think that it's worth discovering as you read it, but I'll just say this. She's never afraid to be herself, and she realises that what she is will always be enough.
"I don't need made-up strength. I'm strong enough on my own--me, Meira, no magic or conduit or anything."
Meira kinda reminds me of Celaena Sardothien from the Throne of Glass series. Not in personality, but in essence and bravery. They're wildly different but they share something so similar and even if I can't quite put my finger on it, I'll say that if you loved Throne of Glass, you'll adore this one too. 

Meira's relationship with Sir was so complex and a delight to read. As the book went on their relationship changed into this wonderful mutual understanding. I get that the mentor style character is becoming a cliche but it was so refreshing to see the underlying respect and care they had for each other. 
    This is a weirdly peaceful moment for Sir and me. I fight down the giddiness that threatens to ruin it.
    "Should we hug or something?"
    Sir rolls his eyes. "Get your weapon. We head for Cordell."
There is a bit of a love triangle in this book between Meira, Mather and Theron. Whilst I felt that it was a little unnecessary and the book could have done without it, it didn't take centre stage and certainly wasn't as ridiculous as it is in other books. My favourite was Theron (read: I'm in love with him), though if I'm honest Mather and Theron's characterisation was a tiny bit similar at times. Meira says that herself, but Theron just had the edge for me even though I love Mather. Meira wasn't whiney about this, and in fact the love triangle went away as she made her choice. I just don't really think that it was necessary in the first place. 

Perhaps what I loved about both of them was that they let Meira do her thing. In a lot of books, the heroes/love interests stop the heroine from fighting just to protect her, but the men in this book respect her enough and let her do what she needs to do. They can see her strength and they respect it. 

On the back cover of this book, they use this tagline: A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making. I don't think they needed that first sentence. Yeah, she's heartbroken, but it doesn't define her like her hero or warrior status does. Meira is strong and amazing and I don't think that really does her justice.

I really do like the setting for this book. There are eight kingdoms in all, Winter being the one that most of our main characters are from. It's a really cool idea to have four of the kingdoms based on a season, and I'm surprised that it hasn't been done before. I think that the magic ties in well with the setting, though I would have liked a bit more on that front. Maybe it'll be in later books. I thought that in the beginning, there was a little too much exposition. It didn't feel like a chore and the book wasn't slow, but I'd personally have liked this to be dragged out more. 

One of the most beautiful things was the pride and patriotism that these characters had towards their nations. They were strong and they were a team. I love these quotes (I edited one of them for spoilers, fyi):
...but the Winterians aren't [lost]. And as long as they live, I'm not entirely alone.
*
That, I think, is a truer mark of belonging somewhere--being able to do anything, everything, that needs to be done, regardless of what I want.  
There were a lot of gorgeous quotes in this book that I took note of whilst reading. I think I'll share with you a couple more of my favourites. 
There will always be a they in your new life, Meira. They make decisions; they mould your future. The trick is to find a way to still be you through it all. 
That's why literature is so fascinating. It's always up for interpretation, and could be a hundred different things to a hundred different people. It's never the same thing twice. 
On a final note, I just want to say that I'd recommend this to EVERYONE EVER. Also that I'm crying in a corner until the second book comes out. I want to read it. I want to stroke it and smell it and tell it that I love it. You know what? I'm not even ashamed. This is a new favourite and because of the rich and vibrant cast of characters that Raasch has created, she's a new talent to watch out for. Just be warned--if you're not a fan of the feels I wouldn't pick this book up. It hits you right in the heart on every motherfucking page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS