Saturday 19 September 2015

Mini Reviews: The Princess Diaries Books 8-10

If you've read my reviews before, you'll probably know that I pride myself in having the mental age of a pre teen and unashamedly love The Princess Diaries even if they're not the best written books in the world. I first read them when I was eleven, though because book eleven was released earlier this year I decided to reread the entire series before picking it up. I've reviewed the second and third books, as well as books four to seven in the form of mini reviews.

611114AFTER EIGHT
Pages: 228
Date Finished: 17.09.15
Rating: 2.5/5
This book was unfortunately a little 'meh'. It wasn't as funny as the previous instalments, and the only thing driving the plot was melodrama. Whilst After Eight did deal with important issues, I wasn't really a fan of how some things were handled (thank god Michael loathed the term 'precious gift' just as much as I do). There wasn't any substance, and I felt that the whole book was lacking.

Negatives aside, it's almost impossible not to get sucked into this series. I read it in one sitting (rather than doing homework. Oops) and I know for a fact that all I'll be able to think about tomorrow is Mia and Michael. I still love them both as characters (even though I want to shake some sense into Mia most of the time), and the supporting cast really is great. I have to say that I found myself agreeing with Lilly a lot in this book, something that I never thought I'd normally do.

Grandmere has been giving Mia hints about sex for the past few books now, and it was really funny to see Mia finally understand what she was talking about. And, yet again, Buffy and Lord of the Rings references are always appreciated.

I think the reason why the book was unsatisfying is because it had no climax, or no resolution. There were just a series of events that felt necessary for the series to progress. Maybe this series is mean to be binge read, but this book wasn't really contained in itself like the others were.

Of course I'm going to continue with this series despite the fact that my heart is broken (J.P. is not my friend). I don't understand how a book so average can be such an addictive page turner.

2641860TO THE NINES
Pages: 269
Date Finished: 18.09.15
Rating: 3.8/5
Wow, this book was way more satisfying than the last. Even if I still hate JP, and even if it wasn't as funny as the earlier books, I still really enjoyed it. Do you know why?

In To The Nines, the book wasn't focussed completely on romance. Yeah, a huge chunk of the book focussed on heartbreak, but there was something else driving it forward: Mia. Finally, finally she is starting to become less melodramatic and more assertive. She's finally growing up and it was wonderful to read. Faced wih a serious and life changing decision towards the end of the book, I feel like she made the right choice. Not for her, but for Genovia.

I felt like this series declined in quality towards the middle, but this Is where it's picking up again. I do miss the humour, but Mia is no longer that silly fourteen year old. She's beginning to grow into herself. I feel like her character arc in this book was surprisingly satisfying, as were her reactions with the other characters. Despite the arguments, each of them had a valid point of view.

Another aspect of the book I really enjoyed was the character of Lana. I'm happy that she's transitioning from the standard high school mean girl to someone who actually has real feelings.

I said that After Eight didn't really feel like a contained book. However, To The Nines actually does. Though, I do want more character development with a lot of the side characters. As much as I love them, they're beginning to feel like caricatures of themselves, if that makes sense. I mentioned this in my reviews of the other books, but I still want more when it comes to showing, not telling.

This book wasn't perfect, and this series certainly isn't the best written of all time. That doesn't change how invested I am in the lives of the characters, and how fun they are.

5820680TEN OUT OF TEN
Pages: 400
Rating: 4/5
Date Read: 19.09.15
All I want to say right now is aaawww. Or in the words of Mia: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEH!!!!!!!!!

Ten out of Ten isn't a perfect book. It's not the best written, and it's certainly predictable. You know what? I don't care. I don't' care that this series isn't considered top notch literature, or that it's just a 'silly kids book'. All that matters is that I had an absolute blast reading it.

This book starts just under two years after the last. I know that it had to for the plot to work, but I find it hard to believe that Mia went that wrong without writing in her journal, even if it was to work on her novel. That aside, in this book everything finally comes together.

I loved seeing Michael back. He's certainly one of my favourite characters, and it's no secret that I ship him with Mia real bad (as far as I'm concerned, J.P. can go rot in hell or something). They just have chemistry, and the way their relationship progressed just felt so organic. Also, seeing them interact again was ridiculously cute, and I can't wait to read the eleventh book as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Mia finally feels grown up, and it was really nice to see her laughing at her younger self (thank God Cabot doesn't take Mia's view about the 'precious flower' thing. Ugh). I also loved how she became friends with Lana, and how Lana actually appreciated her too. Speaking of Mia's friends, it's so great to read about the whole gang. I just love them all so much, okay?

One of my favourite aspects about this book was the novel Mia wrote. It's funny, because her rant about why romance books are just as important as more 'serious' fiction mirrors exactly what I've been thinking over the past few weeks. Whilst it's probably a little unrealistic that someone would get published at eighteen (I hate to say it, but the extracts from her book weren't' that great), I'm so happy that she's finally chasing her dreams.

Without making this post too lengthy, I'll just say that this is a really satisfying to the series (not including the eleventh book, as it only came out this year). Yeah, it isn't perfect, but I care for Mia, Michael and all their friends. That's enough, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS