Saturday 12 September 2015

Writing Resources: Pub(lishing) Crawl

This is my third post in a series where I talk about my favourite writing resources, whether it be websites, books, blogs or author newsletters. Previously I talked about Susan Dennard's Misfits & Daydreamers as well as the podcast Writing Excuses. This week (um, not that this is weekly. I'm not organised like that) I'm talking about one of my favourite writing websites.

Pub(lishing) Crawl is a fantastic website run by a group of writers and industry professionals. Erin Bowman, Susan Dennard, Kat Zhang, Vanessa Di Gregorio, Julie Eshbaugh, Hannah Fergesen, Stephanie Garber, S. Jane-Jones, Stacey Lee, Biljana Likic, Jodi Meadows, E.C Myers, Rachel Siegel and Joanna Volpe make up the team, with past contributors including Sarah J Maas, Leigh Bardugo and Alex Bracken just to name a few. If you don't recognise at least some of those names, I'll be surprised.

Over the years some of the contributors have gone from aspiring/debut authors to NYT bestsellers, so the hundreds of posts they have written about writing are definitely worth checking out. They all have years of experience in their own fields, and the writers know what it's like to be a struggling aspiring writer as well as a successful published author.

I first found Pub Crawl when I found out that one of my all time favourite authors, Sarah J Maas, used to be a contributor. Then I found out that so many of my favourites write/have written for the website, and then there was no going back. It's such an invaluable resource, especially because the contributors come from all sides of the industry. Writing Excuses (which I talked about last time) is just by authors and whilst it's an invaluable resource, hearing advice from agents and publishers is great.

Because of the amount of contributors and the length of time the website has been up, there are posts on anything and everything you could hope for. Whatever problem you have, just run a keyword through the search. To give you an example a while ago I was having trouble creating my villain, and in total there were seven pages worth of articles to look through. There are also five pages tagged with outlining, and three on character creation.

Here are just a few of my favourite articles:

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS