Thursday 31 December 2015

Things I'm Thankful For in 2015

I can't believe 2015 is over in less than two hours (I can believe that I have no New Years Eve plans aside from reading, however). So much has changed in the past twelve months and I'm struggling to work out how time has gone so fast. I've always hated New Years Eve because it makes me feel overly nostalgic. It has a sense of closure to it, and I just don't like it.

This year, I'm determined not to be so mopey. I'm not going to wallow in self pity or make resolutions that I definitely won't keep. Instead I'm hoping for an amazing 2016, and although this year hasn't been perfect I've still made lots of memories that I'll definitely look back on fondly. These are just some of the things that I'm grateful for in 2015.

STARTING MY BLOG
Okay, so technically my first blog post is dated 30th December 2014, and I know that there were a couple of earlier ones that I deleted. Even so, I began to frequently use this blog around April 2015 and that was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I know I've been absolutely hopeless at posting regularly these past few months, but because of this blog I've made so many great friends and read so many amazing books.

LEAVING BAD FRIENDS BEHIND
At the beginning of 2015, I had a completely different group of friends to the ones I have now. I'm not saying that they're bad people but they definitely weren't the right friends for me, and I was not the right friend for them. I felt like I had literally zero close friends and that majorly sucked. Most of my old friends went to a different place from me to do their A Levels, and in all honesty I'm not sad that we don't talk anymore. I feel so much better now I'm not surrounded by people I couldn't be myself with, and 2015 really was the year where I decided to let go of people who made my life worse rather than better.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER 
I know that Buffy the Vampire Slayer is just a TV show and putting it on the list of things I'm thankful for is kind of trivial, but I honestly don't care. It's been just over six months since I cried my eyes out over the ending of Chosen, and I'm still just as obsessed with the show. Buffy is just one of those shows that made me care so deeply about the characters, has something important to say and  inspired my writing. Buffy, I love you.

MEETING MY FAVOURITE AUTHOR
Meeting Sarah J. Maas and getting my books signed was just amazing. I'm so grateful that I got the opportunity to meet her, and I hope that hers won't be the last book signing I get to go to.

PASSING MY GCSE'S
It's pretty self explanatory why I'm glad I did well in my exams. In all honesty I didn't revise as much as I should have (the night before my physics exam I decided to read the entirety of The Order of the Phoenix instead of doing revision) but thankfully I still got good grades. It's also such a relief to know I'll never have to study science or maths again.

MAKING NEW INTERNET FRIENDS
I'm so thankful for the wonderful people I've spoken to and the friends I've made in 2015, whether it be through Twitter or this blog. Where would I be without the conversations I've had on twitter with Erin and Rebekah? Internet people are honestly so great, and I'm grateful for every tweet and each and every blog comment.

MAKING NEW REAL LIFE FRIENDS 
Like I said earlier, I didn't start out 2015 with the best group of friends. I'm now ending it having people in my life who I can completely be myself around. I'm beyond thankful for the two people I met in my politics class who tolerate my weirdness, and the acquaintances from my old school who I've started to become close with. Surrounding myself with positive people is honestly one of the best things I've ever done.

LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA
As with Buffy, it may seem trivial to put Lin Manuel Miranda on this list. Considering how much I love and adore Hamilton, the word trivial doesn't come into the equation one bit. I've also fallen in love with In the Heights and 21 Chump Street, and can't wait to watch Moana (his next project). The obsession with Hamilton has also brought me closer to two of my friends, and that alone has made the tears worth it (I can't be the only one who cries over the last song. Lin also wrote music for The Force Awakens, so that's another reason to love him.


FALLING IN LOVE WITH BOOKS
It's not a surprise that there have been some wonderful books that I've read and loved this year. I'm grateful for each and every one of them. Queen of Shadows, Uprooted, Vicious, The Raven Boys, The Hero of Ages, The Wrath and the Dawn, Maya's Notebook... The list goes on and on.

I just want to say a final thank you to every person who made my 2015 memorable, and to the people who I can't wait to spend 2016 with. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS