Monday 11 May 2015

Reading Soundtracks

I've written a post about music before but this is something different. I'm not sure if it's done on any other blog so if it is, please tell me (sorry!) but I've decided to start a monthly feature on this blog called Reading Soundtracks where I'll take the five most recent books that I read (or five of the books I read in the last month) and assign a piece of music to them. You're welcome to do it on your own blog too, as long as you link back here (and seriously, if another blogger does this please shoot me a message--I don't want to offend anyone by stealing their ideas!).

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

I loved this book just as much as I adore this track. It's empowering, brave and even a little delicate. This was really easy to pick as it captures the essence of Snow Like Ashes perfectly (and it's kinda badass, not going to lie).

I'm the king of my own land.
Facing tempests of dust, I'll fight until the end.
Creatures of my dreams raise up and dance with me!
Now and forever, I'm your king!

Emerald Green by Kerstin Gier

I found it really hard to find a song for this book so instead I decided to find one for the romance between Gideon and Gwen (which is a huge part of it). I think this works quite well.

I never thought that you would be the one to hold my heart
But you came around and you knocked me off the ground from the start
You put your arms around me
And I believe that it's easier for you to let me go
You put your arms around me and I'm home

Vicious by V.E. Schwab

If you've seen my twitter feed lately, you'll know that I'm obsessed with this show (seriously, stop reading this and go watch it now). I watched all thirteen episodes in just over a day and downloaded the soundtrack as soon as I could. I think this piece really fits vicious as it sounds quite vulnerable in places, but it transitions into badassery and action pretty quickly. The title also fits the book PERFECTLY. 

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas
There were SO MANY songs that I could have matched to this wonderful book, but I chose this one partly because I love Wicked, and also because I think it captures Feyre and Tamlin's romance perfectly. *cough*chapter twenty-seven*cough*

Just for this moment
As long as you're mine
Come be how you want to
And see how bright we shine
Borrow the moonlight
Until it is through
And I know I'll be here holding you

The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman
I had so much trouble finding a song to go with this one, and then I remembered it's a novel about librarian spies who travel to alternate worlds. Where better to look than the Dr Who soundtrack? I think that this piece captures the action and adventure in this book, as well as having a wibbly wobbly timey wimey feel to it (if you don't watch Dr Who, you probably think I'm insane).

Thanks for reading! Like I said at the top, feel free to post your own version of this! I'd love to see what other people are reading and listening to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS