Tuesday 30 June 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I've Read So Far This Year

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish and the theme this week is the top ten books I've read so far this year. I haven't read as many books as I normally do so far this year, hence why this list is really hard to do as most of my five star reads have been rereads. I don't want to but books on this list if they were just a bit meh, so I'm going to do the top eight instead.
This book is amazing. It's no secret that I'd read absolutely anything that Sarah J Maas writes, and ACOTAR was the book that firmly put her in the favourite author spot. This book didn't just have characters that I love, but has an intricate plot and it's also a fairytale retelling (again, no secret that I love those). The romance is wonderful, and I'm more than excited for the sequel next year. I was lucky enough to meet Sarah at a signing earlier this year, and I may have fangirled just a little. 

I first heard about Uprooted from someone I followed on Goodreads, and as soon as I read their glowing review I knew that I had to read it. I wasn't disappointed. It has a fairytale feel to it, and everything about it is so fantastically wonderful. I loved Agnieszka and Sarkan, and their romance was sexy yet subtle. This book took so many fantasy elements that I love and worked them into something new, and I'd recommend it to everyone. 

I'm now realising that half the books on this list are rooted in fairytales. Oh well, fairytale retellings are my absolute favourite. Cruel Beauty was one of the first retellings that I read and it was amazing. It does have a lot of mixed reviews but I didn't hesitate to give it five stars. It's beautifully written, richly imaginative, and the characters are wonderfully imperfect. It's a beauty and the beast retelling like ACOTAR, but that doesn't mean that it isn't unique. I've never read anything else like it.

Crimson Bound is Rosamund Hodge's other book, and I knew that I needed it as soon as I read Cruel Beauty. I think I prefer it, only because the heroine is an antihero and I loved her so much. This book is even more unique than Cruel Beauty, and I love how Hodge isn't afraid to break rules and try something new. Her books might not be for everyone, but they're absolutely perfect for me. 
I bought Geek Girl on my kindle, thinking it would just be a cutesy contemporary. It is to an extent, but Geek Girl is a wonderfully written story about an imperfect, genuinely geeky heroine who was wonderful to read about. I devoured the whole series in just a few days, and I cannot wait for the next one to come out. It's ultimately so much fun, and I love so many things about it from the family dynamic to the way Smale handles relationships. 

My favourite kind of characters in the world are the antiheroes and the villains, the ones who have questionable morals and cruel intentions. Love them. Vicious is a book about just those kind of characters, and it was kind of perfect. I can't really pinpoint the exact things about it that I love because the whole book is incredible. Everyone should read this, and everyone should write villains the way that Schwab does. Please. 

This book was incredible. I stayed up all night reading it, and I am beyond excited for its sequel that's released this autumn. I absolutely loved the heroine as she wasn't afraid to kick ass, and although the love triangle felt a little unnecessary, both of the love interests were really good characters and neither was over protective over her. They let her be badass and I loved that. Snow Like Ashes was just amazing.

This was the first book I read this year and it was a wonderful conclusion to the trilogy. Alex Bracken gets better and better with each book she writes, and In the Afterlight is simply amazing. I haven't been into dystopian books for a while but I make exceptions for this trilogy as it's so refreshingly different from all the others out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS