Sunday 31 May 2015

May Wrap Up/Book Haul

May has been a decent reading month. I've read nine books this month, and I deleted my Goodreads reading challenge which means that I don't feel the pressure of being so behind. I'm still reading quite sporadically at the moment, but once my exams are over (two weeks!!!) I'll have all the time in the world to cut down my daunting TBR pile.

Read
Date Read: 2nd May
Rating: **
Info: I rated this book 2.5 because whilst it was a lot of fun, it wasn't anything special or groundbreaking. I won't write much about it because I covered pretty much everything in my review.

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
Date Read: 3rd May
Rating: *****
Info: I absolutely LOVED this book. Seriously, I read it in one siting and basically fangirled the whole time. It's imaginative and unique, and I loved all of the characters so, so much. I also added this to my Goodreads favourites shelf, no big deal.

The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller
Date Read: 13th May
Rating: **
Info: I actually rated this book 2.5 stars because whilst it was a bit generic/predictable, it was SO MUCH FUN. I enjoyed this book so much and I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for something lighthearted. I also found out that the author is writing a companion novel for it, so I'll probably check it out when it's released! 

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear by Frank Miller
Date Read: 16th May
Rating: ***
Info: I binged watched the Daredevil TV show in less than twenty four hours. It's one of the best shows I've ever watched (it's on Netflix--go check it out) and as soon as it was over I had to do something to soften the wait until the next series. This is a bind-up of five comic books and I really enjoyed it. It didn't blow me away, but reminded me why I'm just a little in love with Matt Murdock.

Beauty by Robin McKinley
Date Read: 16th May
Rating: ***
Info: I gave this book 2.5/5 stars because whilst it was a wonderfully written story, it just didn't satisfy me as much as I thought it would. Still, it only fuelled my fairy tale addiction more.

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Date Read: 18th May
Rating: **
Info: If you read my review of Red Queen, you'll know how thoroughly disappointed I was with this book. I kind of understand why it was getting so many five star reviews, but the only thing I liked about it was the one character that everyone was supposed to hate. Oh dear. 


Greek Mythology: The complete guide to Greek Mythology, Ancient Greece, Greek Gods, Zeus, Hercules, Titans, and more!
Date Read: 24th May
Rating: **
Info: The reason that I read this was because my current WIP is a retelling of the Hades/Persephone myth and I wanted to do some research on Greek mythology. I downloaded this free from the kindle store because I literally have about 11p in my bank account. I was really disappointed because it was so short and barely explained anything at all. 

Date Read: 24th May
Rating: *****
Info: I wrote a review on this one, but words cannot express how much I adored this book. It was completely absorbing and just so darn wonderful. It felt like a creepy, sexy, and enthralling fairytale, and I was utterly hooked all the way through. I couldn't recommend this more.

Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge
Date Read: 30th May
Rating: *****
Info: I absolutely adored this book for so many reasons. I'm in utter awe of Hodge's writing, and I think the way that she creates characters is genius. You can see me fangirl more in my review, but I'm so happy that I bought this.

Book Haul
I bought a lot of books this month, so much so that I'm putting myself on a book buying ban. I'm not going to tell you all about most of the books I got on my kindle because they were all free, and ninety percent of them were for research for my WIP. I also bought the entire Throne of Glass series in the US hardcover editions even though I already owned them in paperback, but they're just so pretty. Anyway, these are the books I got in May:

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes 
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge | Review
Beauty by Robin McKinley | Review
The Assassins Blade by Sarah J Maas
Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas 
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J Maas
Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas
The Summer I Became a Nerd by Leah Rae Miller | Review
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard | Review
Half a King by Joe Abercrombie
Uprooted by Naomi Novik | Review
The Gospel of Loki by Joanne M Harris

I hope I'll get a lot of reading done in June once my exams are over, and if I have any self restraint my book haul will be tiny. 

Let's be honest: I have a problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS